Tuesday, January 10, 2017

A New Star in the Night Sky? Update 01/07/2017 and an announcement!

You could say that I have a love affair with the night sky. Since I was a little kid, I have looked to the stars with wonder. One of my earliest memories, in fact, was seeing the night sky burning brightly in a remote Colorado sky unencumbered by any city lights. As I got older, that love affair extended to telescopes and amateur astronomy and continues to this day. But the one thing that's remained constant across my life is the generally unchanging nature of the night sky, other than the movements of the planets and the occasional comet.



That's about to change. A new star is  about to appear in our sky in the northern hemisphere, and it could be among the brightest, at least for a while. But first some history. When new stars suddenly appear in the sky humans take notice. In the year 1054 a star in the constellation Taurus went supernova and lit up the night sky in a big way, to the point that it was visible in daylight.

Numerous cultures took note of this star and recorded the event and it is now enshrined in the oral traditions of several cultures along with written accounts from Europe and the middle east. There's even a Native American pictograph thought to depict it. But the most detailed preserved accounts come from Chinese astronomers of the period who poetically called it a "guest star". 

The guest star faded over time, but you can still see the remnant of this supernova in a telescope or a pair of binoculars. It's called the crab nebula and represents the shell of gas thrown out by the supernova explosion. More recently, the southern hemisphere was treated to a similar supernova in 1987 located on the outskirts of the tarantula nebula. At the time I was 12 years old and was very sad because it wasn't visible in the northern hemisphere where I live. But that's now okay as something similar to this event seems set to happen again. And it's going to happen soon.

Researchers at Calvin College in Michigan have predicted that a star, currently being called the "Boom Star", in the constellation of Cygnus will dramatically brighten in the year 2022. If the prediction holds, it will become one of the brightest objects in the sky for about six months before calming back down and returning to its normal brightness after about 2 years.

The real name of the star is KIC 9832227 and it's located at a distance of about 1800 light-years. The system is made up of two suns that orbit very closely, so much so that their "year" is only eleven hours. That orbital speed has been shown to be slowing down. This means that these two stars are on a collision course.

We've seen stars collide before, it's a fairly predictable event. But what's rare is for it to happen so close. In the cosmic scheme of things, 1800 light-years isn't far at all. When the collision happened, for example, the Roman Empire was in full swing. But when they do collide to form a new, larger star, lots of light is emitted as the two suns coalesce.

That's good news for us. While the collision poses no danger to us, it will treat us to a spectacular display of a new star shining brightly in the sky that we can watch dim in real time. It's a new guest star and I for one welcome it. I just hope there's no civilizations closer to it that might not be so lucky.

Lastly, and completely unrelated, I would like to announce something special I have planned for 2017 for this channel. While I'm not yet sure if I'll stream it live or just take a bunch of footage and make a video, something extraordinary is happening in my area this year and I'm going to bring you along to enjoy it with me.

On Monday, August 21st, 2017 I will be within the path of a total solar eclipse and I will be setting up cameras and covering it on YouTube. I've been waiting for this eclipse for decades so I'll probably be beside myself with excitement, which isn't really saying much given that I'm sort of mellow, but I'll record that too. So there's much to look forward to on this channel for 2017 and I wish all of you a positive, prosperous and happy new year as together we boldly march into the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment